Legalizing a Mexican vehicle in the US is very simple, you can drive it across the southern border, carrying a series of documents and requirements at hand. How much does it cost to legalize a Mexican car in the United StatesheThe rates will depend on the type of vehicle, it has a rate of approximately 5% of the amount of the vehicle price. Although the percentages vary according to the vehicle to be legalized, for example if it is a motorcycle, a truck.
How much does it cost to legalize a Mexican car in the United States
We are going to know everything related to what a person interested in legalizing a Mexican car in the United States must comply with. Citizens of Mexican nationality who enter as visitors, either for tourism, work or for a family visit. It is important to note that you can legalize a vehicle if you wish for personal use, as long as you can prove that it is not for business purposes.
The person interested in legalizing a Mexican car in the USA must pay, in addition to the cost of hiring the importing company, a percentage rate on the value of the car. The fee is approximately 5% of the amount of the vehicle price. The percentages vary according to the vehicle to be legalized, for example if it is a motorcycle, a truck.
American citizens or legal residents have the option to request a payment exception of up to US$800 for their personal car, or for their family members who accompany it. The process is easier, in case you have obtained the car during a trip to the Mexican country, for example, on vacation, and you entered Mexico without a car, you bought it during your stay and you want to take it back, if you verify the acquisition in this period, the process is much simpler.
- It may interest you: The best insurance for Mexican cars in the United States
To legalize a Mexican car in the US, you must enter through the border or customs, you must present:
- Have the purchase invoice issued by the dealer or authorized agency, for the purpose of verifying that you are the owner that is legalizing.
- You must have proof of shipping payment, that is, the amount paid for shipping from Mexico to the border area where the car will enter.
- A record of the country of origin, which contains the country it comes from and the car.
- Forms must be filled out EPA 3520-1 Y DOT HS-7, to register that the car meets the minimum safety and emissions requirements to be legalized in the United States. This will be verified by labeling the engine. If you do not have a manufacturer’s certification, eligibility can be verified with an inspection and by completing the form 3520 from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Cars that do not meet emissions or safety requirements, except in exceptional cases, must be shipped by an independent commercial importer. The companies modify the vehicle mechanically, which will guarantee the EPA that it complies with what is required.
Entry and legalization
When you present the documentation at the border and have made all the corresponding payments, you can enter the USA. Immediately it is important to insure the vehicle. Then you must fill out the forms of the state vehicle control office to legalize it, as well as pay the taxes related to this operation.
Depending on which state you legalize to, you may need an emissions test and inspection. If the catalytic converter is not in good condition or the vehicle emits a lot of pollutants, it most certainly cannot be legalized within the United States.
If the application is approved, in a few weeks the labels and plates will be sent to the applicant’s mail, which will allow you to drive your car legally and safely.
Cars that can be legalized
The cars to be legalized must be less than 25 years old, which means that they cannot be older than 25 years, those that do not have this time, but enjoy a historical qualification, can be legalized in the USA with certain limitations to circulate. , for display purposes. The vehicle must be qualified as a classic model, for example: classic mustangs Y classic camarosthose corresponding to the years 60 to 65.